So - the very first "mini-wave" of 2500 invites went out six hours ago. Mostly we first targeted US and/or West Coast (but not ONLY West coast) players that met certain minimum requirements.
We instantly saw a spike on the CDN side, with one of our CDN providers presuming we were being DDoS-ed as people performed the update/patching process. But that part of the systems generally seem to have held up well.
As we cycle through various systems, we did see an issue in one of the "world servers," and we think it may have been a memory allocation issue, and it forced us to shut it down to reconfigure and restart it to see if it is quickly resolved, or if it will require major surgery in the morning (or if it's an previously un-identified bug)
Now - if overnight things seem reasonably stable - then we will increase the number of players DAILY. There has been speculation that we would wait a long time. That's not the case. We'd like to ramp up as quickly as possible.
In fact, we'd like to send the new wave of "account enabled" messages Wednesday again (of course unless something is wrong or buggy under load with any current core systems, in which case we will hold off).
The current plan is to slowly increase the CCU count (simultaneously connected players) from a few hundred (what it is now) to just over 2,000 simultaneous players this week (which means close to 20,000 actual invitees). If THAT holds up fine, then the next really big wave is to go to 100,000 players and 10,000 simultaneous - though that leap might take a bit longer.
In the meantime we are also processing data and monitoring information as quickly as we possibly can.
And - as a fun fact - we had a team in India (10,000 miles away from LA) just test the game, and it turns out it is SORT OF playable with 180ms-200ms ping times. Certainly not fantastic, but clearly playable. So - if we want to go really wild we COULD enable the game globally to reach LA, but at the moment that is not the plan (at least not yet).
If anything drastic happens overnight I will post here, otherwise the plan is to slowly turn up the heat until things croak (right now we are at a "1 of 10" and we're trying to get to "11 of 10" :) )